Some of the key factors affecting the value of your fine wine investment are:
- The provenance of the vintage wine
- Storage in the optimum conditions to maintain the quality of the wine
- Storage in bond to benefit from the tax treatment in the UK
Literally speaking, provenance is the chronology of the ownership, custody or location of an object, and in the case of items of value, like fine wine, the clearer the chain of title and verification of appropriate storage the higher the price that can be commanded on sale.
The highest quality provenance is acquiring wine directly from the wine producer, shipped straight from their cellars to your own storage arrangement.
Vin-X client wines are stored with industry leading specialist, London City Bond at their Grade 2 listed, Vinotheque facility at Burton-Upon Trent. Vinotheque has provided facilities for the storage of custom-bonded goods since the 19th Century and is a member of UKWA (United Kingdom Warehousing Association).
The dedicated wine storage is operated at the optimum conditions for the professional cellaring of fine wines with wines stored and protected to the highest standards guaranteeing the average temperature of 13 degrees Celsius with 60 – 65% humidity, minimal light exposure and strict management of case movements.
As a client of Vin-X the following can be arranged for you:
- Complimentary condition reports with digital photographs of your
wine on acquisition from Vin-X
- A viewing of your wine at LCB, by appointment
The Benefits of Storage under bond
The benefits of storing your wine in a Government bonded warehouse are:
- There is no requirement to pay UK Excise Duty and Value Added Tax on the wine until such time as the wine is removed from bonded storage. If you acquire and sell the wine and it remains under bond these charges will not be triggered.
- If you choose to have your wine delivered out of bond the VAT will become payable on the original price of the wine at time of purchase and NOT its current market value.
- Wines stored in bond are more attractive to prospective buyers including merchants. There is much greater transparency on traceability and provenance with the corresponding certainty that the wines will have been correctly stored to maintain quality and protect value.
Every case of Vin-X client wine held at LCB is clearly labelled with LCB’s unique rotation number, the owner’s name and specific wine information, see photograph:
Once a client has settled an order, the wine is delivered into bond as soon as possible, after which they receive a Certificate of Ownership with the corresponding rotation number. LCB and Vin-X have evolved systems to ensure end-to-end control on the ownership of wine, which is clearly understood to be that of the client, not Vin-X, nor LCB.
LCB is one of the industry’s leading specialist wine storage providers and is responsible for 3 million cases of wine. They operate the highest standards of security with a state of the art system in operation 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Those clients we arrange storage and insurance for can rest assured that their wine is insured at full-replacement value in accordance with LCB’s insurance provider’s terms and conditions.
For more information, please see Vin-X Storage Terms and Conditions and contact us on 0203 384 2262